Open Loop in 40 seconds
What is Open Loop?
Open Loop is a global program that connects policymakers and technology companies to help develop effective and evidence-based policies around AI and other emerging technologies. The program, initiated and supported by Facebook, builds on the collaboration and contributions of a consortium composed of regulators, governments, tech businesses, academics and civil society representatives. Through experimental governance methods, Open Loop members co-create policy prototypes and test new and different approaches to laws and regulations before they are enacted, improving the quality of rulemaking processes in the field of tech policy.
What’s in it for participating businesses
- Leverage the training, tutorials, toolkits, mentorship, networks, resources and technical assistance provided by the Open Loop consortium
- Contribute to reducing complexity and costs of implementing AI policy frameworks
- Engage with a vibrant community of AI companies, including Facebook
- Be publicly acknowledged as industry leader in the area of Responsible AI
- Co-create sound and operational AI governance together with policy makers
- Build trust with users and the policy community
- Discuss best practices and technical insights with industry peers
- Contribute directly to shaping and better informing the AI Governance debate
Emerging tech is everywhere – why AI?
Policy making is highly relevant for all emerging technologies. We are starting with AI because we believe that there is a specific need for policy experimentation in this field.
This belief is built on two main observations
AI as a technology poses unique challenges due to its novelty, technical complexity, and rapid pace of development, and the critically important fairness, transparency and accountability questions it raises.
AI has already set in motion a range of policy-making activities that present important questions around what regulatory approaches and normative frameworks can best ensure that AI systems are being responsibly developed while preserving AI innovation.
Get in touch
Do you have innovative ideas on how to govern emerging technologies?
Do you want to co-develop and test new policy ideas? We want to hear from you!